A delicious cake with 3 distinct layers; a dense fudge base, a creamy custard centre and a soft sponge on top.
(Recipe based on 'the magic cake'.)
BY Sascha Toopitsin, SWEET GASTRONOMY www.sweetgastronomy.com
Preparation: 30 mins
Bake: 50mins + rest and chill time
Stand mixer (with whisk attachment)
20cm rectangular cake tin
Baking paper / tray
Rice oil spray
4 Eggs, separated
150g Caster sugar
125g Butter, melted
70g Plain flour
40g Cocoa Powder
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
350mls Skim milk
300mls Pouring cream, whipped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Lightly spray cake tin with oil and line with baking paper, so paper extends slightly above the edge. Roast walnuts on baking tray for 10mins. Allow to cool. Lower oven temperature to 150 degrees celsius.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into a bowl. Hand whisk until the batter lightens in colour and slightly thickens. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites using a stand mixer, until soft peaks form.
- Add melted butter while whisking to the batter. Then add flour, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Pour milk into the batter, a little at a time. The mixture will become very loose, almost completely liquid again.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter using a spatula. Take care not to knock all the air out of egg whites. Once combined (ok to have some egg white not completely mixed through), pour batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 mins, cake will have a slight 'wobble' when ready.
- Allow to cool before removing from cake tin. Then place cake in the fridge to set for a couple of hours before serving.
- Decorate and serve with chocolate shavings, freshly whipped cream and roasted walnuts.